Cell/Tissue Behavior and Properties
BME 35200 / 3 Cr.
This course will introduce the students to the biological principles of cellular/tissue behaviors and properties. Topics include: fundamental concepts of cellular structure and tissue organization, biomolecular elements and their properties, cell shape, cell adhesion and migration, mechanotransduction, pattern formation in embryos, and stem cell and tissue regeneration.
Available Online: No
Credit by Exam: No
Laptop required: No
P: BIOL-K 101 and CHEM-C 106. C: BIOL-K 324.
To introduce students to fundamental concepts of cellular/tissue behaviors and properties.
After completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Recognize hierarchical organization of biological tissue. [a]
- Understand the role of structure of cellular and extracellular filaments. [a]
- Understand the role and dynamic structure of membrane. [a]
- Identify various biofluids and their role in molecular transport. [a]
- Recognize heterogeneity in cell/tissue behavior. [a, j]
- Understand the role and mechanisms of cell adhesion and migration. [a]
- Understand the role and mechanisms of mechanotransduction. [a]
- Recognize complexity in embryonic pattern formation. [a]
- Design experiments to test a specific hypothesis in cellular/tissue behavior and properties. [d, g]
- Understand fundamentals of stem cell and tissue regeneration. [a, f]
- Molecular Cell Biology, 5th edition. H. Lodish et al. (Freeman, ISBN 0-7167-4366-3)
- Tissue Engineering. Bernhard Palsson and Sangeeta N. Bhatia (Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-041696-7)
- Bone Tissue Engineering, edited by Jeffrey O. Hollinger, et al. (CRC, ISBN 0-8493-1621-9)
- Primer on the metabolic bone diseases and disorders of mineral metabolism, 6th Edition (Murray J. Favus; ISBN 0977888207)
- Cell movements: from molecules to motility. Dennis Bray. Garland 2001. (ISBN 0-8153-3282-3)
- Tissue Engineering (Principles and applications in engineering series). Edited by Bernhard Palsson et al (CRC, ISBN 0-8493-1812-2)
- The Molecular and Cellular Biology of Wound Repair (ISBN 030645159X)
- Developmental biology (Scott F. Gilbert; ISBN 0-87893-250-X)
- Essentials of Stem Cell Biology (Robert Lanza; ISBN 978-0-12-088442-1)
- Regenerative Biology and Medicine (David Stocum; ISBN 0123693713)